Current club events are listed each month on p. 2, 3, & 8 of the newsletter calendar. See pages 4-5 of the February newsletter for a master-schedule of events coming up each year.
MBBC Club Trip to ride GranFondo Whistler
MBBC club member Dave Dardano is organizing a trip to Canada to ride the GranFondo Whistler on September 9th this year. Details of the ride and explanation of a GranFondo are on the website, where the intro paragraph says:
Imagine for one day, the best possible cycling roads are closed to traffic. Before you is an epic route with challenging climbs and thrilling descents. All you have to do is concentrate on the beauty around you. You’re feeling fit and you’re lined up for a huge ride with thousands of your fellow cyclists. It’s not a race, so there’s no pressure. You can ride whatever pace you want. You can even stop for a sandwich along the way – they’re provided. And no matter what pace you choose, you’re not likely going to be riding alone, and you can count on local spectators cheering along the way. The scenery is better than you would see in a magazine. The ride ends with a massage and a party, and everyone’s invited. This is the GranFondo Canada Experience!
If that sounds like a great time to you, join Dave and other MBBC members for a trip to Vancouver on September 8th and ride the ‘Fondo the next day, with optional stay for a day afterward for some leisurely riding in the area. Dave is organizing carpools and hotel room blocks. Hotels are already filling up in anticipation of the weekend ride, and signup for the event gets more expensive the later you sign up. The MBBC has received a discount Team-Signup code so with your early signup and use of the $25-off code, you’ll get a pretty good deal the earlier you sign up!
Notes from Dave: We’ll need to be at the starting line around 6:15-6:30am on September 9th, so spending the night in Vancouver is advised. Packet pick-up is the 8th as well. We want to stay right in downtown so we can walk to the convention center to pick up our bib, garb, packet and see some vendors, then grab some chow. Then in the morning on the 9th, we can all meet downstairs and ride to the starting line in Stanley Park together. Last year I stayed at the Empire Landmark hotel and I’ve checked rates at hotels and the Empire Landmark still seems the best option, especially how busy hotels are in Vancouver this time of year. For those who want to stay in Whistler on Saturday night, there are hotel options there too. Let’s get our Friday Vancouver plans locked down early, then we can discuss Saturday and maybe Sunday nights in Whistler. Once we know how many people are going, we can see how many cars and drivers we’ll need. The most important thing is to get signed up as a club before April 1st, both to get the best prices on the event, and to make sure our Vancouver hotel plans are made.
Please contact Dave at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-325-6849. Please make it easy on Dave and sign up as soon as possible so he can plan for everyone! It’s going to be a great time and an end-of-summer cycling adventure for all!
The next CHUCKANUT CLASSIC is on August 27, 2017.
The Chuckanut Classic Bicycle Ride (formerly the Chuckanut Century) is presented by the Mount Baker Bicycle Club as our signature ride. For more information, including directions, maps, and entry form, please visit our Chuckanut Classic Website in early 2017.
YEARLY & QUARTERLY MEETINGS & EVENTS
There have been some great meet-ups and events in 2015 and 2016. The club puts on several get-togethers per year in addition to our many club bike rides.
- Our Yearly kick-off member’s reception is every January and includes a good overview of the year to come, as well as a gear swap and new memberships sign-up for the year. The 2017 Reception was on January 22, 2017 at Jeckyl & Hyde Pizza/Deli. See December 2016 newsletter for details.
- We had an end-of-summer 2015 BBQ/cookout/potluck party on September 27. Lots of brats, burgers, and veggie burgers were grilled by Scott!
- The MBBC will again have a booth at the Recreation Northwest Outdoor Expo in Bellingham, at the Fairhaven Cruise Terminal, from 1-6pm on Saturday February 25, 2017.
- The MBBC has a booth every year at the Seattle Bike Show, and volunteers from the club staff the booth over the 2-day event. The 2017 Bike Show is March 4 & 5, 2016 at the Century Link Conference Center in Seattle.
- The MBBC has been a sponsor of the Whatcom Mountain Bike Coalition‘s yearly Trail Days. In 2016 the MBBC provided coffee, doughnuts, pizza, and manpower/womanpower for working on the Hush Hush trail on Larrabee. Our trail day was April 17th in 2016.
- Ride Leader Training was presented by Greg Rehm and many of the club’s ride leaders on March 24, 2016. MBBC ride leaders help guide you on all of our club-sponsored weekly and special-events rides.