Check the newsletter every month (calendar on p. 2-3 and p. 8) for additions/changes to the weekly rides schedule.
All are welcome on weekly rides. Read the ride descriptions below and contact the ride leader to determine if the ride is the right level for your ability. Check for seasonal start times and also make sure of the ride schedule in the winter. Some rides go in summer only, many go all year round!
On winter and rainy rides, please do everyone a favor and put fenders on! Also: be careful around corners and watch for icy patches.
Riders under age 18 are asked to contact the ride leader before your first ride. A parent must accompany you to your first ride start to sign a parental consent waiver.
MBBC WEEKLY RIDES
MBBC Weekly Club Rides are led by MBBC Club Ride Leaders, are sponsored and insured by the club, and are open to everyone to check out the ride. We ask after riding your first ride that you decide whether you’d like to continue riding with the club, and if so, please join! See our membership page for more about MBBC membership.
There are many more group rides in spring/summer/fall. Overwinter we have fewer rides but we encourage everyone to put on your cold weather gear and get out to ride! Starting in March and April, the spring and summer rides begin appearing back on the schedule.
A Hold-Harmless Ride Waiver must be signed prior to participating on an MBBC Club Ride. Club members and first-time guests are covered by League of American Bicyclist’s liability policy, carried by the MBBC. View Ride Waiver here.
- Wednesday Group Trail Ride: Meet at 5:45 pm, leave at 6pm from the Depot Market parking lot across from Boundary Bay Brewery. Contact: Tim Ryan, t.ryan.2009 at gmail.com. We’re now into the Winter Schedule, which means the summer road ride is now a winter trail ride. Bring a trail-ready bike and PUT LIGHTS ON IT and prepare for a vigorous group ride on Bellingham’s local dirt trails. We go every Wednesday all winter, in rain, snow, and cold!
OTHER WEEKLY RIDES
These are weekly rides not sponsored nor insured by the MBBC, but also open to everyone to try out. For more information, contact ride leaders: names listed under each ride.
- Sunday Fairhaven “Rabbit Ride” has been going on every week of the year since 2011. Details are below but to be safe, check on the Fairhaven Bike Rabbit Ride webpage. Start time 8am (8:30 am over winter), Sundays. Riders who ride slower than 16 mph should be ready to ride at 7:45 am in summer (8:15 am in winter). Starts at Fairhaven Bike & Ski. 32 mile route down Chuckanut and back via Lake Samish. Small groups of similarly-paced riders begin leaving at 8am (8:30 in winter) and faster groups leave every 5 minutes thereafter. Fastest riders will leave about 8:30am. When a faster group passes yours, you have the opportunity to try to jump on a wheel and hang on, or stay with your group. This is intended to be a fitness ride and you’re encouraged to push yourself. This ride is organized by John Hauter; check with John to get on the mailing list for updates and ride schedules. For more information, contact John Hauter at Fairhaven Bike. 360-733-4433 or johnh at fairhavenbike.com
- Sunday Edison Social Ride starts from Edison Elementary School parking lot. 30-40 miles, 10-14 mph, route varies. 10 am start time, weather may cancel in winter. For additional info: Alfred Arkley arkley at comcast.net or 360-527-8638. Contact Alfred to get on the email reminder list, in which people discuss winter weather forecasts and whether the ride will go in the winter weeks.
- Tuesday North-Side Social Ride: starts from Pioneer Park in Ferndale, 30-40 miles, 13-16 mph route varies. 10am start time, may be altered by weather in winter. The route is chosen based on where the riders want to regroup for lunch. To check start time and for other information, contact: Robert Parker, email rmp4724 at hotmail.com or 360-671-6910
- Thursday South-Side Social Ride starts from Edison Elementary School parking lot. 30-40 miles, 10-14 mph, route varies. 10 am start time. For additional info: Alfred Arkley (arkley at comcast.net) or 360-527-8638. Contact Alfred to get on the email reminder list, in which people discuss winter weather forecasts and whether the ride will go in the winter weeks.
- Saturday Donut Ride: 25 to 50 miles, race pace, departs from Kulshan Cycles, 7:30 am October through February (expect the start time to change back to 7:30am/winter-time starting October 4th, 2015 – check with others on the ride), and 7 am March through September. Goes to Ferndale and return, or if you wish continue to Birch Bay and return. Get your weekend miles behind you before most people get out of bed on Saturday! This ride has been a Bellingham tradition forever. Every week of the year!!
- Saturday Recumbent Ride: Everyone is welcome to come out and ride with the recumbents – even you upright riders. Second Saturday of the month at 10 am. 14 mile intown course begins at Kulshan Cycles. This is a very relaxed social ride (avg 10 mph) with a lunch stop. An excellent ride for families or people new to cycling: this group likes to meet and mentor new people! All year, but may cancel depending on weather. More Info: Robert Parker, email: rmp-4724 at hotmail.com or 360-671-6910